Saturday, November 7, 2015

Lesson 08

This week we had some hard conversations in class. This week we touched on neglect and abuse. I know it something that absolutely has to be brought to light and we need to be informed on the signs and what to do when we need to report abuse. There is this one girl who in class who talks a lot. This week she shared a story of an incident when she had to report abuse at the preschool here on campus. Luckily, it ended up being okay and abuse wasn't actually happening. I work at the after school at Kennedy Elementary and we have actually had cases of abuse and neglect. We have sent children home with extra food and a jacket from the lost and found because otherwise they wouldn't have dinner or a winter coat. It is so sad, but we need to be realistic in recognizing that abuse and neglect happen more often than we think.
This week we moved tables and got new classmates at the tables. I was a little sad because I missed out on a lot of classes with my old "tablemates". But the change really is so beneficial. I love learning from new people and getting their perspective on the things we are learning. It has been really great.
I am hoping I can help them as much as they help me.
One of the things that I really loved this week was the video about the elementary school in Nevada. It was so inspiring. I am so grateful for stories that this that instill hope in mankind. Some children really have hard lives and lack basic necessities at home. I found it it really inspiring to know that there is something we can do as educators to give them a better life and hope for their futures. I actually sent the link to the director of the after school program and we are looking into doing some of the things the principal did in the video.
I just want to make a difference for children who aren't as blessed as I have been. I have so much in my life and I have so much I can give to others. I want them to grow up in a world that is kind to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment