Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wheelchair Simulation

Ok. The previous simulations have been alright, but this one really did let me experience what it would be like to be in a wheelchair and how hard it is! I have been pretty sick the past few weeks so using a wheelchair and not having to walk seemed like a great convenience. Except that is really hard work and I was sweating and using muscles I was not used to having to use that much. I live near Broulims so going up a hill wasn't too hard to do since everything is up hill. I got myself to my class in the Clarke. I knew right where the elevator was so I went straight to it. Someone helped me by pushing me into the elevator and pushing the buttons. It was a very nice, simple gesture. After class I did try to go to the restroom, which was incredibly difficult. I have zero arm strength! I really need to work on getting stronger. Getting in and out was hard too because the bathrooms in the Clarke seem smaller than other bathrooms on campus. I kept getting stuck between the door while trying to go out. I then went to through the library, took the elevator to the 3rd floor, and made my way to the MC. Someone did push me to the MC, which was very nice. At the MC I decided to try and get food while in my chair. This proved to be very difficult. I had a hard time reaching for the food and holding it in my lap while continuing to wheel myself around. Luckily, I ran into a friend and he held my food for me and helped me pay. It really is the little things. The did go to the restroom one more time while in the MC. The rest of the time I just sat and did homework. I saw a lot of people I knew and got asked so many times, "Are you alright?" I hate having attention on me so this simulation was by far the hardest for me. I hated the stares and the questions. I feel so much sympathy and now empathy for those who are in wheelchairs everyday. I also feel inspired by them and recognize their courage now more than I ever did (not to mention I recognize their arm strength).
This simulation opened my eyes to the struggles that some people go through just to go from one place to another. I take so much for granted in my life. I have a prayer of gratitude in my heart for my legs that work and, even though I have been sick, my body is healthy enough to get me where I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment