Saturday, December 12, 2015

Service Learning

I did my volunteering hours at a retirement home. I brought flowers to the rooms of the residents, helped with Bingo, helped with dinner, and sang songs with them. I worked with an elderly women who had autism. She loved to hear me sing and especially loved when I sang songs she remembered. I also worked with an elderly man who came to Bingo every night. He was an elderly man with down syndrome. He is in his early 70's which is pretty rare for those with down syndrome. His was not very severe but he needed more assistance than others. Whenever he won Bingo he always did his "victory dance". It was so funny.
Prior to volunteering, I had very little experience working with adults with disabilities and retirement homes made me slightly nervous. This was a way for me to overcome my fears, become more comfortable with the elderly, and become more confident in working with adults with disabilities. I feel like I gained that confidence and have been able to use concepts learned in class and apply it with the adults I was around. These concepts aren't just for the school setting.
My volunteer hours total was 7 hours. I enjoyed every minute and plan to volunteer again next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment