Saturday, December 12, 2015

Lesson 12

This week we talked about behaviors in a classroom and what we can do to prevent and eventually change negative and disruptive behavior. The book has a good list of different behaviors that can occur and a list of things teachers can do. We were assigned one of these strategies as a table on Monday and my table had the strategy of teaching a concept in a way that relates to the child. If a child enjoys sports, use that to help them understand a math concept. The problem with this is that it is specific to each child's interest and would be hard to do for every student.
One of the things that really stuck with me this week was the ABC method of observing a behavior. We listed a few behaviors that could happen and came up with an antecedent and a consequence for that behavior. This method of observation really is beneficial. It can help teachers in a classroom but also helps parents in everyday situations with a child. I taught a parenting class Wednesday night after we had discussed this concept in class. I was able to answer some of their questions and help them by teaching them to use this observational method. One parent asked, how can I get my child to stop hitting? I told them to observe when the child hits, write down what happened before the hitting or what it was that caused the child to hit, and then come up with a consequence. Be consistent with that consequence and if it isn't working, change it and try something different. By observing and figuring out the cause of a behavior, it is easier to find a consequence that will be effective.
The parents found this to be a really beneficial way to help their child and were excited to try it.
I am so grateful for this class and the depth in which I have been learning things. We aren't just learning strategies and concepts, but we are learning how to properly apply them. Other classes haven't done that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment