Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Visual Impairment Simulation

I a going to be honest, I wasn't able to wear the masks for 4 hours each. I get migraines really bad and I got a migraine from each mask. The first mask was the blurry vision simulation which I lasted about an hour and a half before my migraine kicked in. The vision I had pretty much was the same as my vision without my glasses or contacts. It was SO frustrating. I kept squinting my eyes to look at what my teacher was writing on the board or to look at the powerpoint slides, which is probably what brought on the headache.
I lasted only a half hour with the macular degeneration simulation mask. My headache got really bad really fast. I tried to go the grocery store (my roommate drove) and was able to get through that and check out but my headache got so intense I had to take it off and sleep for a few hours.
The other two masks I lasted about an hour before the headaches. It was such a hard assignment for me to accomplish. When I get a migraine I get an aura usually in my right eye and if I don't quickly take medication, get to a dark room, and sleep, I will completely lose vision in my right eye until I sleep it off. The pain is so intense that putting my head on a pillow hurts. I accomplished as much of the simulations as I could.
The fact that I got a headache every time makes me feel so inspired by those who have permanent vision impairments. It must get so frustrating and annoying. I love my eyes and I love looking at things around me. I love to people watch and observe the world around me. I love looking at nature. I can't imagine my life without my vision. This assignment made me so much more grateful for the simple blessing of being able to see. I am so blessed to have all five senses working.

No comments:

Post a Comment